Monday, May 14, 2012

Susi Skirt Series ~ Adding Rick Rack

Pin It

After an exhausting week of being sick (yes, again),
I am ready to get back to the blog and to sewing!

This is the second installment of the Susi Skirt Series.
If you missed our first tutorial, check it out HERE.

There are many options when it come to trimming.
Although I am not the biggest fan of rick rack,
I know it is a popular choice.
And yep, I use it on my girls' skirts so it must not bother me too much.


Here are a few options for trim.
Ribbon of your choice (grosgrain, satin, printed, etc)
Rick Rack (the big stuff is super cute!)
Pom-poms
Lace

Before you start, assuming you have the Susi Skirt eBook,
{and if you don't, you can purchase it HERE}
piece together your skirt but don't put in the elastic for the waist.
Also, go ahead and top stitch the hem.


Measure out your choice of rick rack
to match the width of your skirt.
I chose to use red to contrast but match the cherries in this print.
Also, before sewing, I seal the rick rack by using a lighter.
Lay the rick rack along the hem line.
{pin if you would like but pins & i don't get along}


Take your skirt and trim to the sewing machine.
You will top stitch right down the middle of the rick rack.
Don't forget to back stitch at the end!


Your skirt will look like this without the elastic in.
Now, you can get crazy by adding another row of rick rack.
Or even use a different trim like grosgrain ribbon.

To finish out your skirt, put that elastic in the waist casing.
And there you have it!



Pretty darn cute and perfect for any summer skirt.
Trust me, my girls LOVE theirs!

Don't forget to share photos of your finished product
on our Facebook page!

See you tomorrow for our monthly combo giveaway
with Skye Reve Fabrics and {SIG}!
{SIG}nature Creations

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...